torsdag 9 juli 2020

Neat and proper

I'll keep this one short and sweet, since it's basically a small thought-bubble that popped up.

In Minecraft, I decided to construct a small castle, or keep. I started out by leveling an appropriate area, then moved on to construct the floor section.

That's where I stopped. I looked at the ground and realized that it was almost entirely made up of soil. Soil is not a good foundation for a castle, so I had to replace the first layer. Through not insubstantial amounts of work I stripped away the soil and replaced it with cobblestone, the most basic form of mined stone in Minecraft.

But nobody will ever see it; I don't go around showing my creations to people. Heck, if I didn't brag about it in my blog, nobody would have ever even known about it. So what's the point?

It's my own flavour of roleplaying. Sure, I can roleplay in the traditional sense with other people, but when it's just me it doesn't quite work the same. See, my roleplaying takes place in my head. When I play games like Minecraft, there are conversations taking place, plans being made, and actions taken which only take place in my head. It could be that there's an imaginary companion that one has with which one discusses plans about expansions, buildings, or mines.

So my character looks at the soil, and realizes that it doesn't make sense to build a castle that way. So my character changes his plans. So my character explains to his illusory companion that the plans have changed. Not all those things can be represented in the game engine, but they all take place.

Inga kommentarer: