torsdag 21 april 2011

Lucid Dreaming...again!

See, I'm trying my best at sharpening my skills at this, but, even though I'm getting better at it, there are still a few things that stand in my way.

Firstly, achieving a lucid state while dreaming is difficult. It's not even close to something I can do with any reliability. It's more of a random treat that randomly pops up.

Essentially, the brain is wired to trick itself while dreaming, to prevent the person from realizing how weird everything is. Thusly, in order to achieve lucidity, you have to trick the brain back. You have to somehow push it into registering that something is going on that can't go on unless it's a dream. My favourite one is covering my mouth and nose with my hand, so I shouldn't be able to breathe. If I can still breathe, I'm dreaming, and I can realize it. Of course, this doesn't always work, as the brain is quick to come up with explanations, like that I'm not covering my mouth and nose well enough, but at times it does the trick alright.

Secondly, I have only ever managed completely lucid dreaming once. By that I mean that I was fully aware of that I was dreaming. What I have achieved at other times is being lucid in the second layer of dreaming. For those who've watched Inception, you'll understand. I can be lucid, but I'm actually just dreaming inside the dream.

Thirdly, it's rather hard to decide what to do. Lucid dreaming is the purest freedom one could possibly have. You can conjure any item or person, move to any location, do whatever you want. Also, perhaps most importantly, you can do anything without repercussions or any moral considerations, as none of it is real. So, what do you do? You can satisfy any desire, experience any thrill, and you know that all of it will be gone once you wake up.

What do I do when that happens? That's my little secret. But, suffice it to say, only your imagination sets the boundaries for what can happen. You are completely and utterly free to do whatever you want, and able to do it.

Maybe you should read up on lucid dreaming, and attempt it yourself. It'll take lots of practice, but it's possible. There are even people who have interviewed characters in their own dreams, to figure out things about their own psyche.

Inga kommentarer: