torsdag 30 september 2010

Friday night, dressed to kill...

Had a rather rude awakening today, thanks to my awesome autonomous nerve system! At 12:26, I awoke with my mobile phone in my left hand, having turned off the alarm in my sleep without hesitation.

Add to that, it spoiled a rather fascinating dream I had about suffering from radiation poisoning after a string of nuclear attacks against the city I was in. No, it didn't make much sense to me either.

I'm starting to miss the terrific feeling of dread that only Silent Hill 2 gives me. Oh, and Penumbra! Penumbra: Black Plague, to be precise.

As I might have mentioned before, a good horror game is one where the monsters in closets are kept at a minimum, where the terror of something you can't see is greater than the monsters you do happen to actually come across.

Black Plague also has the added factor of complete and utter lack of any means of defending yourself. All you can do if you're spotted by some faceless monstrosity is to run away, hide in a corner and try not to panic. Dammit, I've gotta pick that game up again. As always, the feeling of dread is lessened quite considerably when you are armed with a double-barelled shotgun and blasting holes in everything that moves, something that any good horror game avoids like the plague, the Black Plague in this case. This is why Doom 3 never actually qualified as a horror game. Sure, monsters popped out of closets here and there, but all you had to do was put a few slugs in their head and they literally dissolved.

Good riddance to that, we need more Penumbra!

1 kommentar:

Aewheros sa...

Kollat in nya 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent'?