fredag 1 oktober 2010

A camel through the eye of a needle?

Today I would like to take the opportunity to yet again rant on the subject of religion. My specific gripe this time is heaven.

Heaven has come to be viewed as the most blissful of places, "heavenly" being an adjective describing beauty and delight. But what is heaven really supposed to be like?

If we read Revelations, it is described as a place where the only actions humans really take is to praise god at all times.

This offends me greatly! The thought of me, being a man raised with the ideals and goals of a free citizen, willingly giving all those freedoms up in favour of groveling in the dirt at the feet of a moody, willful and quite clearly maleficient deity is to me absolutely preposterous. We are, after all, talking about the same god that thought it would be the hallmark of a beneficent and sympathetic entity to stone to death disobedient children, homosexuals, witches and to smite with holy wrath a guy who accidentally touched the Ark of the Covenant to stop it from sliding off its carriage into the mud.

I wish I was making this shit up!

Even worse, it's not like this supposed god is giving us much of a choice. Either we spend the rest of eternity in slavery with no free will, or we will be cast down to eternal suffering in a sea of molten sulphur. Thank you very much, oh benevolent one!

All that apologetic bullshit about "Oh, god wants us to make our own choice!" rather rings false, doesn't it, when the options are either slavery or eternal damnation.

Good thing I do not believe in god, because I can't stand the idea of worshipping him in the first place. A good god doesn't let infant children die in an earthquake!

Inga kommentarer: