måndag 11 oktober 2010

Comedy!

Since I have another chance to try out standup comedy this friday, I'm faced with a number of difficulties in deciding what I should be talking about.

First, what I'm about to talk about needs to be separate from what other comedians have already covered. I have to find my own angle on every issue and topic, which can be quite a challenge. Since I am a big fan of comedy, I have heard thousands of worthy stories that I could retell, probably with pretty good results, but doing so would be unfair, and would make me nothing more than a pretender.

Second, I have to connect properly with the audience. The tricky thing about certain subjects, like politics, is that you need to take a stand that the audience can identify with. If I stand there and start ranting about a specific party or point of view that the audience agrees with, I might lose their support, because they'll interpret it as simple political propaganda.

Third, I have to get the audience going properly. An active audience can really make the show great, and conversely, an inactive audience can make excellent jokes feel like they didn't take off at all. This is why it's so undesirable to be first on the card for the evening; it's entirely up to you to fuse the audience together, get them in the right mood and prep them for the rest of the performances.

Fourth, I'll need abit of luck. Fingers crossed!

Inga kommentarer: